Production on 1 -"Basic Film Structuring"

 Justice for All 

Written, filmed, produced, and edited by Liv Doura 

Genre: Historical Drama 

Setting: Current day, New Albany, Mississippi – New Albany High School 

Characters: 

  • Troy Martin (protagonist) 

  • Mr. Parker – Troy's homeroom teacher 

  • Alex – main leader of the group that bullies Troy 

-others in the group include Luke, Will, David, and John 

  • Ms. (Eileen) Brown – the school’s club coordinator  

  • Extras will be needed for the opening scene and the four boys besides Alex. 

  • Someone will need to voice Ms. Taylor for the announcements.      

Dialogue: 

 

(Scene 1: It’s homeroom, bright and early at 7:30am on a Tuesday at New Albany High. Everyone is seated, either chatting, on their phone, or rushing to get last night's homework done before class.) 

Students murmur, Troy is scribbling doodles on his paper 

Ms. Taylor: Good morning friends and faculty of New Albany High! Welcome back to another beautiful day of learning and happy Tuesday! To start off our morning right, I will now ask you to please stand and pledge allegiance to our flag.  

Ms. Taylor proceeds to recite the pledge of allegiance. All students but Troy stand up and follow Ms. Taylor in reciting the pledge. Mr. Parker looks over at Troy in discomfort and confusion. 

Mr. Parker: “Excuse me Troy, you were asked to stand for the pledge of allegiance, and you’re still sitting. 

Troy: “I heard the announcements, but I’m not sure I feel like standing for the flag today.” 

Mr. Parker: “Are we going to have a problem young man?” 

Troy: “There’s no problem... except for the fact that I’m being threatened for exercising my first amendment rights. I thought you out of anyone would cherish the liberty we ‘share’ in this country. Why doesn’t that apply to me in this situation? I have every right to stay seated and not stand for a flag that I feel doesn’t protect me like it promises to. 

Mr. Parker: “I’m sorry, I didn’t realize this was a drama class. I will say this once Mr. Martin, you will stand for the flag and speak with me at the end of class or head straight to the principal’s office immediately.” 

Troy: “Nah man, I’m so tired of trying to suck up to you people while you make degrading comments behind my back and to my face. All you need to see is the color of my skin and you’ve already built a messed up stereotypical version of me in your heads. I’m done keeping my mouth shut about the stuff that happens to me every day in these halls while you turn your heads. Maybe Principal portman will see me as a person and listen to my concerns about the students and faculty at this school.” 

Troy gathers his things and walks out of the classroom while everyone watches in intense silence. 

(Scene 2: Troy is walking down the hallway on his way to the principal's office after being kicked out of class. He’s walking with his head down looking at his phone.) 

Shot of Troy walking down the hallway. A group of kids cross his path and one of the kids purposefully bumps into him and knocks the phone out of his hand.   

Troy: “Yo, watch out.” 

Alex: “Maybe you shouldn’t stand in my way, freak. 

Troy: “Excuse me?” 

Alex: “Did I stutter? You’re a freak. The way you dress, the way you talk, you look like your gonna try and hurt someone.” 

Luke: “It’s not his fault, he probably can’t afford any better clothing because...you know.” 

Troy: “Because what?” 

Awkward silence 

Troy: “Say it. It’s because I’m-” 

Alex: “It’s because you’re not normal. You’re not normal and you think the world owes you something because of it. You have just as much freedom and privilege as we do but you make such a fuss about slavery all that stuff that ended like a hundred years ago. 

Troy: “You mean I’m not white? Yeah, I’m definitely not if that’s what you’re implying, but the only thing that’s not normal about this situation is the fact that you can’t recognize the privilege you have being a white man in America.”  

Will: “What is this kid even talking about?” 

David: “No clue. Sounds like some weird political propaganda he found online.”  

Alex: Whatever, we don’t have time for this. I’m supposed to go meet Ava in the courtyard.” 

Alex steps closer to Troy 

Alex: This is why no one messes with dark kids.” 

Alex and his group walk away and leave the scene. Frustrated, Troy continues down the hallway. As he’s walking, a flyer falls of a bulletin board to his left and drifts to the floor right in front of him. Curiously, Troy picks up the flyer and reads it. As he’s checking out the flyer, a classroom door opens and a Ms. Brown appears into the scene, taking the flyer from Troy’s hand and stapling it to the wall again. 

Ms. Brown:Oh come on, did that flyer come down again? You have got to be kidding me.” 

Ms. Brown puts the flyer back up on the wall and staples it 

Ms. Brown: “Thanks for getting that off the ground, I’ve been having some back problems and that would’ve taken me much longer to get all the way down there and back up (chuckles). We’re you interested in starting a club?” 

Troy: Oh, no ma’am. I just saw it fall to the floor and it caught my attention. I don’t know anything about school clubs.” 

Ms. Brown: “Well everyone starts somewhere. If you don’t find yourself fitting in anywhere at school, I guarantee you there are a bunch of other kids feeling the same way. Many of you have much more in common than you know. Chances are there’s a couple of kids here that want the same things that you do or have the same hobbies. 

Troy: “I don’t really-” 

Ms. Brown: “Just think about it. All you need is ten signatures from other students and an appointment with me and the student board. 

Ms. Brown pulls her info card out of her pocket. 

Ms. Brown: “If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out.” 

Ms. Brown smiles warmly and walks away. Troy watches her leave and turns his head to look up at the bulletin board at the flyer once more.  

 

*END* 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Storyboard

Magazine Cover Review

Decision Day