Production 2- ”Representing Social Issues”

         As I am progressing in my portfolio, I find myself running into a lot of problems trying to cast my film. I did not consider the fact that I made the characters incredibly unlikable while writing, and that most people would not want to play such controversial roles, especially not an adult. I also am having a tough time finding my main character, the people I do know that could play the part are not interested. There are not many African American teenagers in the classes that I take, making it difficult to find willing and capable participants. It’s also challenging to find people interested in acting, because the scenes can be heavy, and a certain quality of tone is required to get the message across.

        This issue I’m running into is quite telling of the concept of the film and how it's so much more than just a story. It is a real problem today in America that goes unnoticed by those who are unaffectedMost African American students aren’t in advanced classes in school because they aren’t given as much opportunity as a student from another race would, primarily CaucasianThe fact of the matter is the horrible and inhumane acts of slavery, segregation, and oppression that were done unto the African American race in the past few centuries has had an immense and permanent impact on the group and how they are treated by their own communities 

To this day, the African American community is disproportionately affected by several different aspects of society. This includes the large wealth gap between the African American and Caucasian families, as well as their home values, medical susceptibility to disease, incarceration rates, and killing rates by the police and other citizens. What I find people tend to look past, though, is the everyday hate crimes and belittling they experience from their peers, mentors, and even idols. Modern day public schools, workplaces, and common areas of the people reek with microaggressions and racism while everyone looks the other wayI’d like to include an Elie Wiesel quote that ties into this theme very well, “We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.  


My goal in this film was to help take my side and speak up for those who aren’t as privileged as I am. If we allow this hate to persist, we allow it to win. We allow the oppressors to continue oppressing and the victims to continue to suffer. Hopefully I will be able to find my cast and film my scenes soon so I can take my time editing the material and ensure my message is understood. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Storyboard

Magazine Cover Review

Decision Day